During the skype conversation I was surprised to find out some of Samar’s opinions, how she dressed, and how upbeat she was. Like most people in class I was expecting someone who was more refined and quite in a way. Instead I felt that Samar had an upbeat, positive personality that made her who she is. I did not find her shy at all, but totally willing to ask us questions, answer our questions, and talk about her life. When it came to her clothes I did not expect her to wear clothes that are common here in the United States. The news and other sources have given me the idea that the women from Iraq hide their faces and keep to themselves. I found that fact that my previous thoughts to be refreshing. It is nice knowing that although there is a war going on Samar has maintained her personality as well as normal parts of a 21 year old woman’s life. She told us how she still hangs with friends just usually at her or their houses instead of out because of fear of lack of security. She told us that she wanted the American troops to stay over there. This is so unlike what is presented to Americans in the news. I was also surprised that they lose power often and that they all have to have generators because the power supplied by the government last only about three to four hours a day. I personally think that losing power randomly would not be fun, however, Samar seemed like it did not phase her.
If we have another conversation with Samar I would like more culture, religion, and personal questions such as dating. During the conversation the war, her visit to USI, and how she felt about America were dwell covered. In my opinion it would be a little more interesting if information about Iraq was given such as culture, weather, and religion.
No comments:
Post a Comment