In class we did a social distancing survey based on how our families would answer certain things and how we as individuals would answer the same things. In class we only viewed the family responses. Some of the questions had the room divided in half, some had almost everyone on yes side, and some had almost everyone on the no side. Once the survey results of the student answers were posted I was surprised that more answers were not similar to those of family responses. My answers were almost indicial to what I believed my family would say. But then again my family and I share the same values and beliefs. I would also consider my family and myself as open-minded.
When I looked at the survey results for us as students I was not surprised to see that everyone who took the survey would be friends, live next door to, or would like blacks and people with physical disabilities to be a citizen of this country. I was shocked to see that one person in the class said that they would not want to live next to, be a friend of, or have someone who is Muslim or from the Middle East as a citizen of their country. I find that very sad and disappointing that people cannot accept people for who they are. Another shocking result to me was that 12 people answered that they would let illegal immigrants into the United States. This is a big issue in politics currently. I for one believe that legal channels should be followed if you are to enter a country. That would help prevent overcrowding, lack of jobs, and result in less harbored feelings against one particular group of people.
I believe completing this survey was informative and let us see the beliefs of our fellow classmates and of their families.
No comments:
Post a Comment